Strong Bad: A Time when the Internet was Awesome
Strong Bad and Homestar Runner. For those in the know, I just sent you back 10 to 15 years ago. I will wait for you. Go on, you know you want to go. When you come back, don’t forget to read the rest of the article. The creators Matt Champan, Mike Chapman, and Craig Zobel took a break, but recently started releasing new e-mails!
What are Strong Bad and Homestar Runner?
Who is Strong Bad?
If you wish to enjoy all of these e-mails, then please feel free to click, binge and enjoy. There is even a “Go Rando” button. Essentially, imagine a luchador (yes, Mexican wrestler) answering fan e-mails with boxing gloves. Throw in a bunch of guest stars from the Homestar Runner universe (and a creature named the Cheat) and you have great moments to enjoy. Do not forget to look for all of those Easter Eggs, there are moments near the end where you can click on things and get pop ups for a little extra enjoyment.
Top Eight Early Strong Bad E-mails
But here is my top eight list of favorite Strong Bad in case you wish to start with the best. No particular order (Except dragon. That is the best. Period. TROGDOR, the BURNINATOR!!!)
8.”Sisters” For this one, you need to pay attention to what is being written on the screen as much as what is being said. In my opinion, this was the first great e-mail.
7. “Guitar” I never wanted more to play guitar than after this one. Moreover, I never really thought about what it would take to write out sounds from instruments.
- “Techno“A second e-mail where music is involved. This is where I came to truly appreciate the Cheat – the little yellow creature that Strong Bad is always getting into trouble with.
- “Comic” With comics on the rise in our culture over the last few years, it is no surprise that a comic would be written for this series as well. Except this one is not about superheroes, but about average girls. It is amazing. An entire spinoff was created for Teen Girl Squad after this e-mail. The Teen Girl Squad is hilarious.
- “Japanese Cartoon” I just love anime and this one is fabulous. I would have loved watching this as a Saturday morning cartoon!
- “Dragon” THE BEST!!!! If you ever played Rock Band or Guitar Hero and wondered why there was a song called Trogdor or why it was given the hard category, watch this. I will say that this is the best of the best. If you want to know why you should watch Strong Bad E-mails, watch this. And enjoy.
- “Sibbie” Why is it that I like this one? Because everyone gets to mess with Strong Bad and get payback a little.
- “Dangeresque 3” A throwback to 70s buddy cop movies. A lot of quotable moments.
Everyone Has their Favorite
Did I miss your favorite? Please feel free to comment below. I would love to revisit and see your favorite! I know I missed a few. There are a few new ones that I have not seen.
Other notes: Strong Bad got his own video game: Strong Bad’s Cool Game for Attractive People. Also a reference in the Buffy the Vampire Slayer series finale: Trogdor gets a name drop!!!