Good day to all the Geek Enthusiasts and Nerd Aficionados!
Are you ready for a Batman explosion? Because that might just be what’s coming in 2019. There has been a rumor leak that DCEU is planning to release 4 Batman centric films in 2019.
Batman and the Silver Screen
Batman is definitely one of the big dogs, when it comes to comic book heroes appearing on our theater screens. The introduction of Tim Burton’s Batman showed that we could have a great comic book film. Granted, Superman had already shown us that with his films, but started losing credibility as the films went past Superman 2.
Batman was such a hit that we got Batman Returns (1992) a tad bit darker and macabre.
Warner Bros kept it going with Bat Nipples… I mean Batman Forever (1995). Feeling the film needed to be more mainstream to attract a higher profit. Bruce Wayne/Batman was now played by Val Kilmer. The Joel Schumacher directed and gave it a little more of lighter touch.
The end was truly upon Batman when Batman and Robin (1997) released. A film that to this day George Clooney still apologizes for. Batman had run his course on the movie screen.
He was resurrected by Chris Nolan in Batman Begins (2005) Giving us a realistic dark version.
Followed up by The Dark Knight (2008). Showing us that a comic book film can be taken seriously, as Heath Ledger won an Academy Award for his portrayal of the Joker posthumously. Which as we already know from our previous poll, is the Best Joker of All Time.
Then came The Dark Knight Rises (2012). After the masterpiece that was The Dark Knight. The final part in the Nolan trilogy didn’t fair so well compared to it’s predecessor. Things started looking bleak for Batman again.
Four short years later Batman was introduced again this time going toe to toe with Superman in Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016). A movie torn apart by critics resulting in a horrific Rotten Tomatoes score, still currently at 27%
Batman showed up for a short stint in Suicide Squad (2016). Another film in the new DCEU that got lambasted, rotten tomatoes has it at 25%.
Later this year we will see him in Justice League. Pray to the comic book movie gods that this film is good. Also we’ve still got The Batman to come next year, as well as the sequel to Justice League in 2019 .
Lots of the Bat to come
If there is any truth to the rumor it appears there is going to be a lot of Batman in 2019. On reddit , the DCEU leaks page by way of 4chan, released some news to gear up for the 80th anniversary of Batman in 2019. The release states:
- The plan for 2019 is to release four Batman related films. Gotham City Sirens around Valentine’s Day weekend, Nightwing on Memorial Day weekend, Batgirl in August and The Batman in November. The studio is doing this to celebrate the 80th Anniversary of Batman.
- The Batman film will still have Deathstroke but not as a main villain. Matt Reeves wants to do a larger scale Batman film that will include the Bat family as well as most of Batman’s rogues.
- In addition, two Batman animated films are also planned for 2019. One will be an adaptation of The Long Halloween.
- Grant Wilson might be the villain for the Nightwing solo film. He is hired by Roland Desmond to take out all the mob bosses in Blüdhaven.
Four Bat-centric films meaning lots of screen time for whoever is donning the cowl. Possibly Ben Affleck or if he gets what has appeared to be his way. Someone entirely else. The difference we see here is that The Batman won’t be coming out until 2019. Most like to make enough time for Matt Reeves to properly direct it. Using most of the Batman Rogues gallery it has been rumored that The Batman film will take place within Arkham Asylum.
Other DC notes
That wasn’t all that the leak had to say it also included other DCEU info:
- Suicide Squad 2 or Dark Universe will most likely be taking Aquaman’s previous release date.
- Mel Gibson is no longer the front runner to direct the Suicide Squad sequel. Jaume Collet-Serra and Ruben Fleischer are now the top candidates. The script is currently being written with a story pitch given by Ayer. Killer Frost will be the new female lead to replace Harley Quinn.
- The Dark Universe script is going through final rewrites. Guillermo Del Toro’s old treatment was used as a base and was rewritten to connect to the universe. If Liman is ready, filming could start as early as summer.
- Four movies are also planned for 2020. Warner Bros wants to do two low budget/smaller scale films and two big budget/larger scale films per year.
- Jonathan Levine is in talks to direct The Flash. The film will most likely release in 2020.
- Matthew Vaughn will most likely write the Man of Steel sequel if he takes on the directional duties
Some insight into the details
That is a lot of info. It saddens me to see that Mel Gibson is not the front runner for the Suicide Squad sequel. The man is an Academy Award winning director and knows how to make a movie. Of the two front runners I prefer that Ruben Fleischer gets it. He has proven that he knows how to mix the fun in, with films like Zombieland, and tell a good story. I have not been a fan of the films directed by Jaume Collet-Serra.
I love the pick of Jonathan Levine, though not a deep resume, his work on 50/50, Warm Bodies, and the Night Before puts me at ease.
The last line just has me excited. Matthew Vaughn can outright fix what is wrong with Superman. If he writes and directs he knows how to bring the lightheartedness that Supes needs while being serious when necessary. The man has made some of the best comic book style films already (Kick-Ass, X-Men: First Class, X-Men: Days of Future Past, Kingsman: The Secret Service.)